Thursday, January 05, 2012

Joel is FOUR!!

Can you guess how old Joel was this year??? FOUR!!

On August 1, 2011, Joel turned FOUR! I have a really hard time fathoming this as I started this blog around the time I found out I was pregnant with him. I have blogged his entire life. It's crazy! If you want all the details of Joel's entrance into this world you can click here or here.

Birthdays are a big deal around here but we never have big parties. Who can afford elaborate parties these days, especially with 5.5 kids!! For the big 0-4 Joel requested an "army" theme. We've had a few army themes in our house, as you can probably imagine! When we lived in Kansas I had NO problem finding army themed birthday "stuff" but surprisingly it was rather hard to find suitable options here in our nation's capital. I normally make cakes for the kids but being in my first trimester with our sixth baby, I just didn't have the energy. I really talked up the excitement of getting a "store" bought cake and he was thrilled. It's all in the marketing people, all in the marketing! I had a heck of a time finding a tank cake, but of course Wegman's, my favorite grocery store, came through! The cake was pretty but tasted awful and cost a pretty penny! I'll be re-instituting making cakes in the future!! Joel had a great birthday! It's amazing how exciting kids can get over a few balloons, streamers, and party blowers, I'm glad we've set their expectations low *wink.


One of his gifts! A tool set with working drill!

Abby took her time setting up each army man "just right".

The Wegman's Cake

I just realized this picture is sideways....I'm too tired to switch it....please...just turn your head :)

Blowing out the candles!


Abby enjoyed the cake! Abby is Joel's BIGGEST fan! She can't get enough of that kid!

Eating cake is SERIOUS business!! No birthday is complete without a drinking straw necklace, courtesy of one of your older brothers!

Joel is almost 4 1/2 and could technically go to kindergarten next year! I know I say this with every birthday, but seriously, where has my baby gone???? Now for four things I love about my four year old:

1. Joel has THE funniest facial expressions. I cannot even describe how funny this kid is. Hilarious!
2. Joel is very responsible. He is very good about cleaning up after himself and takes good care of his stuff.
3. Joel loves to show his muscles, loves to punch the air as quick as he can and also loves to give "sauges" (massages).
4. Joel loves books! Clean out his bed and you are bound to find at least 20 books of all shapes, sizes and subject matter. He especially loves our "school" books. I can't wait for him to learn how to read!!

We love you Joel, pray for you daily and can't wait to see the godly man you will become!!

No comments: