Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I feel like a Miracle Grow Commercial

It's 10 AM.  I have the beds stripped, the washer running and the dishwasher unloaded, reloaded and running, and scrubbing bubbles is soaking into my shower tiles, so I thought I would take a moment to blog, not to mention let the hot water heater catch up before I attempt to take a shower!

When my Mom was here over the Memorial Day Weekend she helped me tremendously with my landscaping and curb appeal.  We dug up, threw away, replanted, transplanted, re-sodded, etc...it was quite a job (and really, she did most of it).

One of my favorite things are the urns she purchased and then filled with plants.  They have been so pretty and I love to look at them when I come up the sidewalk.  The urns hold, white impatiens, trailing vinca, and caladiums.  We picked them out for all their green and white and because my front yard gets almost no sun, so we definitely needed shade lovers.  Mom lovingly planted them for me while she was here and then added a good dose of miracle grow, with instructions for me to follow up after a week....well of course I forgot....but luckily my urns look beautiful.  The funny thing is is that the pants have grown very differently in their respective pots....in one the impatiens are HUGE and the caladiums are average, in the other the caladiums are HUGE and the impatiens are average.  It's so strange.  I had a light bulb moment one afternoon and thought, I bet I just need to switch their positions on the porch, which I did...it has made no difference.  My theory is that 1.  the damage is done, no amount of switching them is going to make them look the same...or 2.  it had nothing to do with the sunlight and their is some other factor at work.  Either way, I still love the way the look....check them out for yourself:

Large caladiums....you can hardly see the impatiens.


Average sized caladiums and HUGE impatiens.

I should have taken the pictures the same direction so it would be more obvious...oh well....but you can definitely see a difference.

Off to go scrub some shower tiles!  Happy Hump Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Total twilight zone... du nuh, du nuh- "spooky plants growing unevenly!!!!!" hehe... I'm teasing you.

And, I'll say when I visited the other day, I noticed they were looking quite lovely, and did not notice the difference between them at all!

P.S.- That's a busy morning- take off your shoes, kick back and relax a little!

N