Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Out of the Mouth of Babes IV


Last night we had a YUMMY pasta dish that included spinach. Recently the boys have been fascinated with old school cartoons and really like Popeye. I finally managed to get Ethan to eat all of his dinner. As he was walking away from the table he turned and told me every so sweetly "Mommy, I'm so glad I ate my spinach, now I can smoke like Popeye". YIKES!! Not exactly what I had hoped they would learn from watching Popeye, Big muscles yes, lung cancer, no....


While we we are on the subject of Old School children's entertainment, let's talk about ET. Last weekend we were at a car dealership wheeling and dealing for a new Suburban (the dealership pretty much just laughed at the quote we offered, so no new car for us for now!). At this dealership they had a kids area with a TV and ET was on. All Sam and Ethan saw was the last ten minutes but they were intrigued and we promised to rent it for them. Well, Greg and I are pretty conservative about what the kids watch, and they have seen very few PG movies (we kind of figured that this one was made in the 80's how bad could it be). On Monday afternoon we set them up with popcorn and drinks and popped the movie on. Greg ran upstairs to check out Focus on the Family's movie review site and came down to tell me that they used the word Shit twice in the movie. We were pretty sure the boys wouldn't notice so we let the movie continue, that was until ten minutes later the boys came running in laughing.....

"Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, they said
Penis Breath, they said Penis Breath"

Let's just say that movie went right off!! I guess we will wait a few more years before we unearth the PG movies. Really, what's the hurry?! They only get to be innocent for a short time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

P.S. A follow up call from preschool:

"Um... Ethan keeps turning legos into a pipe and offering a "hit" to other kids!?!"

Goodness Heather. What kid of family are you guys raising?!?!

Darby said...

Heather! I'm so glad you posted on my blog so I could come check in on you and your boys! I've now bookmarked you to add you to the list of those I stalk regularly! How is life with 4? Are you surviving ok? And I love the post baby chop... very cute and its refreshing to see your smiling face on your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Okay... two things. I'm thinking maybe you should go ahead and watch ET anyway, but just fast forward past the few parts that might be questionable. I'm sure the boys would agree to that. And, you don't want to deny them their introduction to Ms. Drew Barrymore do you? ;)

Anyway- #2 I heard there are some cutie pa-tootie pictures of Jilli and Joel you have to post on here... I can't possibly wait another day to see them!

N