Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Reading

Ya'll I wish I could read more. Between children, husband, cleaning, sewing, church, cooking, etc. I cannot find the time to read. This year one of my "resolutions" was to blog about the books I've read. It's kind of sad that it is August and I've only read a handful of books. Regardless of how pathetic, here is the sad little list of the books I've read since my last book review:


When Greg travels (which thankfully isn't very often these days) he often picks up books at the USO. We're pretty sure that's where this one came from. I picked it up on a whim, it's not riveting, it's not THAT great but it's not bad. If you are looking for an easy mindless summer read, this one is for you.

On a deeper note, I read "Ruth: A Portrait" by Patricia Cornwell.


This book was for a book club. I love reading about Mrs. Graham and this book was no exception. Patricia Cornwell is best known for her crime books but she wrote this book because she loved Ruth and was a friend of the family. The book has a fictional air to it but it does give yet another fascinating glimpse into the life of Ruth. Highly recommend!

I was flipping through Family Circle the other day and found a list of books they recommended for summer reading. I loathe going to the library to pick out books so I reserved their suggestions and I have been slowly coming up on the waiting list to pick them up. The first one was "The Actor and the Housewife" by Shannon Hale.


Ya'll it is SO bad. I couldn't even finish it. Maybe I would have liked it had I been able to finish it but the story line was just so STUPID and unbelievable and quite frankly very uncomfortable. I finally just had to stop. The worst part, the silly thing is now overdue which is very unlike me...ohhhh it makes me mad just thinking about paying a fine for this book!

The last non-fiction book I attempted to read this summer was "The Nine Day Queen of England: Lady Jane Gray" by Faith Cook. This book was also for book club.


Now it could just be me and my spacey pregnant brain but this was another one I just couldn't do. I am so not into this time period in history, mix that with the fact that we were on vacation and let's just say it's being put in my give away pile. I'm sure she is probably a fascinating person, but I needed cliff notes and a graph of characters to really care. Can ya'll tell I'm getting a little grumpy in my preggo state...

Any good books from you guys lately?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

My book club just read, 'The Last Lecture' and while I skipped this one, I did attend the discussion and it seemed to be a hit with most of the ladies...