Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Abigail Grace

How can it be that Miss Abby is already a week old? Sheesh time flies!! Ya'll I'm sorry it has taken me so long to update with pics of her and her birth story. It has really not been her that has kept me busy but the other four munchkins in our house! We walked in the house on Friday and I was bombarded by emails, school projects, school meetings, preschool schedules...it's crazy around here! This afternoon it's quite and I have 40 minutes before I need to nurse again so I thought I would tell ya'll about Miss Abby's big day.

Last Wednesday I got up and Mom and I ran a ton of errands. We picked up refills at the pharmacy, some pictures for a project for Gabe and then tried to find some cute jammies for my stay at the hospital. I panicked that morning and decided I must have at least a robe and Mom was a good sport about me dragging her around looking for stuff. Right before lunch I dropped Mom, Gabe, and Joel off and got my bag together to go meet Greg at the hospital. We waited and waited and waited for Dr. Escano and finally at 1:00 he took me back, measured me, did an ultrasound to make sure Abby was still head down, checked her heart beat and then stripped my membranes. At the time I was 1cm and about 20% effaced which was nothing compared to what I'm usually dilated at 38 weeks. Dr. Escano was hopeful so Greg and I decided to walk around and do some shopping. My sciatic nerve has been KILLING me so this was no small feet. Greg was pretty sure he was going to wear out before I did but was a good sport about walking, walking, walking. He finally convinced me that we should go to Barnes and Noble and read for awhile.

After reading for about an hour my phone rang. It was our pediatrician who has become a great friend (thanks to Nancy and Ryan who introduced us to him at a cookout!) and just happens to be the commander of the hospital. Dr. Callahan is an amazing man, I wish ya'll could all meet him and have him take care of your children. He was calling to check in on us and told me he had run into my doctor at the hospital and that Dr. Escano told him that he wasn't too optimistic....that deflated me. I quickly put away my book and told Greg we were going home. Before we went home we had to drop back by the hospital to pick up Greg's car. I had to use the restroom terribly and since we were going in Greg said, let's just get you checked out at Labor and Delivery. I felt so stupid going up there, but I know my husband, he has mad persuasion skills so if anyone could get us admitted I knew he could! Greg talked some sweet nurse into "checking" me, the OB agreed. I was 3cm and 90% but not having any contractions, boy was I shocked when he said, you'll have this baby by sun down, especially considering it was 6:30 at the time!

The nurse took us into a L&D room and got me comfortable in a gown and hospital shoes. She told me to sit tight until shift change was finished at 7. Greg and I were so excited, but I have to say I was in a total daze (shock from getting ready to have a baby and loopy from the Tylenol 3 I had recently taken for my back!). I guess maybe there was some sort of communication lapse. Maybe because I was actually a Family Practice patient, or maybe the first nurse didn't hear that I wasn't contracting (all though Greg was very clear with her) but the new nurses on duty were ready to kick me out since I wasn't actively contracting. I couldn't believe we were all set to go and now they were changing their minds. Luckily the OB agreed to an "induction" and broke my water. At 8:00 he broke my water, I was 4-5 cm and, the nurses started pitocin (at an extremely low level...I begged her to not turn it up past 2 until I got my epidural).

At around 9:00 I got my first of two epidurals. This is always a really stressful time for Greg and I. I have had one baby naturally and prefer to never do that again BUT Greg can't stand to see me in pain. I have had two spinal headaches resulting from epidurals and he knows my short labors are nothing compared to the days of pain associated with a spinal headache. When the first epidural only numbed one leg and absolutely nothing else, I was still feeling EVERY contraction, the nurse anesthetist recommended another epidural. Greg was so worried but was a total trooper as they untaped my back, removed the epidural, put another epidural in and retaped my back. That epidural was FANTASTIC. Probably the best one I have ever had! By about 10:00pm I was resting comfortably, still about 5cm and Greg and I were settling in. We turned all the lights off, I was watching Toddlers and Tiara's and Greg was playing a game on his phone. It was so quiet. That is such a great time, when you are comfortable, it's dark and quiet and you're just anticipating the birth of your new little one!

At about 10:30 my doc came in and told me he was going to run off post to get some dinner and would be back in about 20 minutes (I don't know where he thought he was going to go and be back in 20 minutes but I didn't want to deprive the man of food). I knew if he left he would never make it back in time for Miss Abby's arrival. He took one look at me and later said "Heather, I knew you well enough by now, that look in your eye told me I better not leave!". He decided to hang around and at about 10:50 I told Greg I was ready to push. At 10:59 the room was ready and I started to push. Four pushes and four minutes later Abigail Grace entered the world. It was a fabulous delivery! Minimal tearing, no stitches and the best thing NO SPINAL HEADACHE!!

Here are some pics of our night and our sweet baby girl!


Greg being silly! "FIVE, really?!"


Waiting for Miss Abby

She was covered in vernix! She looks a lot like Joel!

A little happier, a little cleaner

Abigail Grace ~ September 9, 2009 ~ 11:03pm ~ 6lbs 11.9 oz ~ 19 inches

Daddy and Abby

Mommy and Abby

Proud Papa

Meeting her brothers

Hanging out with GiGi

Chillin' with Daddy and baby Liv

Racked out on Mommy's lap

I think Greg and I are still shocked that we have a daughter! Stay tuned, I know there will be thousands more pics!

12 comments:

Marilyn Eve said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful.

Liz said...

cute!! Love that picture of Greg...too funny lol

Danielle L. in AK :-) said...

Heather! It has been SO long since I have read your blog. The boys are getting so big! I love Sam's teeth and Ethan's glasses! Abby is beautiful! I look forward to following your new adventures with a baby girl in the house! :-)

Karen said...

Heather, Abby is absolutely beautiful! Congrats on having a daughter and be prepared to be replaced as I'm sure Miss Abby will have her father wrapped around her little finger in no time.

YAY for no spinal headache!

So happy for the Spencer Fam.

Nancy said...

Yeah Abby post!!! I'm so happy to see photos, read your story, and hear things are going well! Congrats again guys!

Crystal Bates-Hagan said...

Congrads! Miss Abby is beautiful! Glad that your delivery went well and that you didn't get a spinal headache this time. Enjoy your newest little one.

Organized Chaos said...

Very happy for you...she is beautiful. So glad the ultrasound were right!

Can't wait to meet her.

Donna said...

Great photos Heather! She is so beautiful. We are so happy you finally got your little girl. I am SOOO jealous! Glad to hear your doing well as well. We love you guys and miss you!

Deb Wakefield said...

Congratulations to all of you! Jamie and I are thrilled for you! The world needs more parents who love their children the way you do.
God bless you.

Lodmell said...

We are so happy for you all. She is absolutely perfect, precious, and beautiful!!

Unknown said...

She's soooo beautiful. I wish we could be there to see her and hold her... We are so proud for you all.

Unknown said...

another beautiful Spencer girl AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grandpa