Thursday, September 03, 2009

Finally Finished...well...almost

I feel that I'm as close as I'm going to get (for now) to finishing Abby's room. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I couldn't have done it without the help of Holly Mathis, thank you girl for your design savviness, patience and friendship over the last couple of months!

Several blogs I follow have been doing price your room entries. I thought I would do that with Abby's room. Most of the things in her room were from the boys nursery, but we did buy a few things. Remember, we are on a tight Dave Ramsey budget. Nothing in this room was put on a credit. Granted, the budget had to be shifted around a little for a month or two but that's the beauty of a budget. So here goes!


I'll start with this picture...can ya'll see the little numbers?? Sorry they are a little small. I have more pics to come, more close up...just wait!
  1. A is for Abby picture. $20 @ etsy. Frame $16.99 @ Target
  2. Curtains: Central Park Toile Fabric in Blush from Fabric.com $70ish I had a coupon for fabric.com but then realized I could have gotten a better deal at Hancock's when they had a sale...oh well...live and learn. Ball Fringe Trim from Tassel's in Louisville, KY $12.00. Curtain Rod, Rings and Clips, and Curtain hardware $60ish @ Lowe's.
  3. Bed: Jenny Lind Crib Walmart 2002ish time frame. Given to us courtesy of the in-laws. Ya'll I love this crib. It is so easy to put together, is a total classic and they usually run about $100-$130. Now it doesn't convert to ANYTHING, but I'm okay with that! Baby bedding: this was probably my biggest splurge, but I'm so glad I did. I knew I wanted all white bedding. So clean and classic. I found this matelasse set at a Baby/Kid store in town. Greg had to do some serious convincing to get me to buy it and we also did some hard core negotiating to get the set for $189. I love, love, love it! The blanket on the end of the bed was made with left over fabric from the curtains and Dark Brown Minky Dot ($12) fabric, sewn courtesy of my girlfriend Connie. It's beautiful and super cozy!
  4. Chair: The white Jenny Lund chair is IKEA $200. The green pillow in the background was Southern Living for Kohl's $25. The white pillow was part of the above mentioned set. You should remember my ottoman from my trip up to Luckett's in Leesburg ($35). With $18 in white duck fabric from IKEA and Connie as my seamstress, the chair and ottoman look like a matching set! You may also remember the quilt on the chair. I mentioned making it back before we knew Miss Abby was in fact a "Miss". I love it, it turned out so well. Total cost for the quilt ~ $70.
  5. I was unsure about the Simply Shabby Chic banner from Target. LOVE IT now!! $17
  6. Dresser Area: Simply Shabby Chic dresser from Target $200. I bought this dresser when we first moved to DC almost 4 years ago. It started off in my bathroom, then went in Gabe's room, later Joel's and now finally Abby's. It is a super sturdy heavy piece of furniture. I love the lines and it was a great price. I think Target still sells it online. The plates were a set from Tassel's in Louisville ~ $90. The old metal oil lamp is a family antique. The little doll and the little pink glass ware were mine as a little girl.
  7. Ceiling fan: I love this fan. It is so girly and so sweet. The fan and light kit was $200. I tried to make shades, which was a disaster. I ended up with these gingham shades from Pottery Barn Kids. They were on clearance, I got FIVE for $12.99!!!
Now for some close ups!!





This little books shelf is another IKEA find. The Hemnes bookshelf is $109. I will say, it's not deepest bookshelf in the world. It works well for kids books and baskets for toys. The five IKEA baskets ran me about $30. Since I bought this for Gabe's room I didn't have to worry about the expense this time. The little white lamp was a reuse from Ethan/Gabe/Joel's room I have no idea how much it cost me originally. The shade is new from Target $6. Eventually in place of the stick figure there will be a painting from smallwords.com.


The changing station: I guess this is the business part of the room. The changing station was purchased for Ethan's nursery back in 2002. It's a cheap PX find. It was $100. It has been sturdy and does the job. The matching dresser didn't survive all of our moves, I do use it for extra storage in Abby's closet but it is on it's last leg! The baskets underneath were from the Pottery Barn outlet also back in the day. If my memory serves me correctly I paid about $50 for all six. The white shelf is recycled from the boys room. We had three, they were custom made for the house (by the previous owners). Greg gave them a fresh coat of spray paint. White for Abby's room, black for the boys. The dresses were all mine as a child. The hangers were all from Pottery Barn Kids. They are getting out of selling clothes and I bought each for $1/piece. The yellow "A" was a steal at Home Goods for $6.99. I actually like it better then the white "A" from PBKids which ran me $10. The arrow in the picture is pointing to an awesome white whicker laundry hamper I found at Home Goods for $25.

SO GRAND TOTAL: This entire room (over the last 7 years) cost us about $1750. That's not too shabby considering it's been through 4 children!!

I'm uber proud of the room. I can't wait to get this baby girl home and get her in her new room!!


7 comments:

Nancy said...

It is SOooo cute, and I love all the hard work you did! Makes me want to price my room... Hmm...

6 more days 'til we meet Miss Abby?!

xox

N

The View From My Porch said...

Absolutely beautiful Heather! I love it.

Nancy said...

Are you in labor? Call me back!

;) N

Liz said...

What a precious room!!! Fit for the princess she will be :)

Lodmell said...

Her room is gorgeous!!

Nancy said...

I can't believe she's stuck at Dewitt when there is this beautiful room waiting for her at home! lol! I hope you get out of there soon! Congrats again- she's so cute!

Trisha in Vegas! said...

Great job on Abby's room- and the budget. It is amazing how much things add up- we've been stimulating the economy consistently since our move.
Life is good, I cannot wait to see photo's of the newest Spencer...