Monday, February 11, 2008

100th Day of School

Today is the 100th day of School in Fairfax County. Evidently sometime between the time I left elementary and the time Sam started this has become a very big deal. This year, to celebrate this day, we had to start a collection, which would ultimately contain 100 items. The directions were very clear that these items could not all be the same. Thanks to Nancy, my faithful teacher friend, we came up with the idea of collecting lids. Big lids, small lids, white lids, black lids, you get the picture. All told we ended up with a TON of lids. The next step of the project was to sort them in to groups, display them creatively and write a word problem to show how your groups equal 100. This is what we came up with (click on it to get the full effect):

Sam painted the whole thing, glued on most of the lids with the hot glue gun and my help, and typed out his word equation all by himself. We took it in today and his teacher was very impressed. She also told me that he is doing really well in school this year and plans on putting his name in to the gifted and talented teacher to be evaluated for next year. Yeah! She says his math skills are impressive and his reading has taken off.

Sam and I are very proud of his "project". I have to say I dreamed all last night of what Ethan and I can do for his project when he's in 1st grade, YIKES, these projects could get a little overwhelming!!

6 comments:

Lodmell said...

Very impressive! This was a kindergarten project. I would have never gotten work like that out of my 2nd graders. A+

Kay Sue said...

Great Job, Sam!!!!!!

My grandson's are brilliant!!!

Love,

GiGi

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the final product! It really look great.

And yes, I still see a lid in my house and lunge toward it with an odd sense of urgency. When will this feeling pass??? ;)

N

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the final product! It really looks great.

And yes, I still see a lid in my house and lunge toward it with an odd sense of urgency. When will this feeling pass??? ;)

N

Karen said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I don't think I ever had to do something this detailed when I was Sam's age. He's growing up so quickly...

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day Spencer Boys!

xox

Jillian