Friday, May 08, 2009

All the Little Things they Say...



I know I give a disproportionate amount of Gabeisms on this blog...but four year olds say the FUNNIEST things!

Gabe and I often play the I love you game.  He says I love you, I say (very adamantly) I love you, and it goes back in forth until one of us gives up...usually me.  Last week he grew exasperated very quickly, looked at me very seriously and yelled "WHY DON'T YOU JUST LET ME LOVE YOU".  I melted!

Gabe has been taking swim lessons since January and has been progressing nicely.  He has a bad habit of running from place to place which drives me batty as a former lifeguard.  Last week while hopping, skipping and jumping he took a nasty spill on the tile floor.  After class I was examining his forehead.  

Me:  "Gabe that's a nasty bump on your forehead"
Gabe:  "Mommy, why do they call it a forehead"
Me:  "Hmmm....I'm not sure Gabe"
Gabe:  "Why don't they just call it a onehead"

This kids smarter then I give him credit for, HA!

I have been slowly reading this book:


It's by Lisa Whelchel who played Blaire on the Facts of Life.  It's a bit of an overwhelming book because it offers a million ideas of things you COULD be doing with your children, which makes me feel like a slug (which she totally warns against).  Overall though, it has some good ideas.

One of the things she suggests is having a high/low talk with your children just before you tuck the in at night.  I've always had the boys give me one good thing and one bad thing that happened at school as soon they come off the bus (otherwise it's impossible to get boys to talk).  I kind of liked the idea of having a more intimate time with the boys one on one as I tucked them in mainly because I hoped they would be a little more open if they didn't feel like their brothers were listening.


It has been nice spending that quite time with them, talking and praying with each of them right before bed.  The first night was by far the best.  I knelt down beside Sam's bed and took both of his not-so-little-anymore hands in mine and he told me a little about his day.  Nothing monumental or earth shattering but I loved having that quite moment with my babies.  I prayed with him and as I kissed him he sheepishly looked at me and said, "Mommy, you smell good".  It was one of the nicest things they have ever said to me.  He got really embarrassed when I asked him what I smelled like.  He couldn't give me an answer.  I have a feeling it was a mixture of Woolite, Dream Angels body spray and the bacon and brownies I had made earlier in the day.  Regardless I was thrilled that he thought I smelled great.  I'm still walking on air a little on this one!!  (Crazy, huh?!)  I guess it's because sensory memories are some of the strongest, and I hope he thinks of me when ever there is a trigger (even if it's bacon).  

Have a FABULOUS weekend!!  The suns out here, for now, and I want to enjoy it!

4 comments:

Kay Sue said...

Hey Baby - I love all my boys "isms". Can't wait to see you all.

Love,

MOM

Anonymous said...

Always love to hear the 'Ka-ray-zee' things the boys say. You and your siblings said some pretty wild things when you were growing up too. We didn't have blogs back then and we thought we'd never forget but here we are now and nothing written down. Don't ever stop your blog. You will never regret it.

Love Dad

Marilyn Eve said...

Heather

It was so great to get to see you and the fam last weekend... its also great that you keep up with the blog to I can "see" you guys from CA.

xx Mar

Anonymous said...

Heather-

I found your blog through a friend of a friend and then through total strangers whose blogs I love reading (Darby & Erika).

I have two little boys and always think if a mother of 5 boys can rear your children with such grace, so can I. Your love for your children clearly jumps off the pages.

We live in the VA side of the DC area, so it’s fun for me to see what you’re up too with your boys. We’re also headed to Great Wolfe lodge because I too love Colonial Williamsburg. Although, I don’t think the boys (I lump my husband in this category too) would enjoy colonial Williamsburg, I thought I could entice them with a water park.

I’ve never commented, but since we’re making similar trips, I suppose it just hit a cord, and I thought I’d take this opportunity to let you know that I enjoy keeping up with your lovely family.

Thanks,
Lacey