Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Shameful

In looking for a new home we looked into two foreclosure properties. Greg and I have some sympathy for these people. They felt that they had the American dream and then suddenly they are unable to pay their mortgage. I cannot imagine how upsetting it must be, I hope I never have to imagine. Last Sunday the kids and I drove by the house, we also drove by one of the foreclosure properties. On Sunday there was a light mist falling and much of our ground is heavily saturated; yet with all this, the owners of the foreclosure had backed their U-haul right up on the yard, right up to the front door, destroying the front lawn. Using the drive way would have only cost them an extra six feet or so, but why bother it's not "their" home anymore. This is where my sympathy for them ends. Just because you got in over your head does not mean you should be allowed to destroy someone else's property. Evidently this is a common problem:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=7316709

The video is a little long, but worth the watch. It is sickening to think people will sink this low. I'm not sure how they can be angry with a bank when the bank is simply repossessing something that is rightfully theirs. Please help me understand if I've missed the boat here. And answer me this, why can't these people be brought up on charges and imagine what this kind of behavior teaches their children??

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so glad you wrote this. I've been feeling alone in my unsympathetic attitude towards the mortgage crisis. (I still need to watch your video.) I think we, as a country, have fallen into the "keeping up with the Joneses/I want it ALL" attitude. We buy things we can't afford, have thousands of dollars on our credit cards... and want the government to bail us out. I'm confused.

Maybe part of me is just jealous? Jason and I qualified for a mortgage almost 2x our current mortgage. YES, I REALLY wanted the doctor's mansion with the in-ground pool and spectacular flooring. But you know what? Jason and I are both horrible at math and were still able to figure out that we couldn't afford it. What's so hard about that?

Karen aka "can I use my pregnancy to justify my crankiness?"
p.s. Jason thinks my above attitude is mean.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you!