Monday, January 05, 2009

Books

I remember hearing once that reading increases ones vocabulary.  This is intriguing to me.  Is there a certain quality of book that must be read in order to accomplish this goal?  Will any ol' book, magazine, or pamphlet do?  

Regardless, throughout the years I have attempted to satiate my thirst for knowledge and a stuffy vocabulary by reading, and reading a lot.  Despite my four children I would like to still be able to hold my own in an adult conversation!  In my quest for learning I thought this year I would take the time to blog about each and every book I read, good or bad.  

You will probably laugh as I start the year with this book:
In between giggles you can now see why I question the quality of vocabulary building books.  I am a wee bit embarrassed to admit I'm reading these...but if you know anything about the "Twilight" series of books you know that I'm hooked, this is book three!  I was intrigued by the vast number of people reading them and when my girlfriend Nancy finally succumbed to the trend I had to try them out.  Let me preface this "review" by saying these are not great works of literature.  Stephanie Meyer will never be the "Dickens" of our time.  That being said, the books are a decent read.  My only problem so far has been the dynamic between the main characters.  It REALLY bothers me that they are so wildly obsessed with each other, really to the point of stalking.  There is no way I would let a teenage daughter of mine read these books.  I cannot imagine the unrealistic expectations of boys they would walk away with.  No man can ever live up to a storybook character, but we women tend to forget that.  I could feel myself being mildly frustrated with Greg while reading the first book...thoughts of "why can't he be romantic" or "why can't he love me like that" bombarded me.  I'm almost 30 and have been married for almost 9 years, if those thoughts are in my head they will surely be in the mind of any high school girl!

As I sign off here, I'm heading over to buy the last title in the installment.  As batty as these books have been driving me I do enjoy them.  Maybe the next book I read will be a little more vocabulary expandabling!


4 comments:

Nancy said...

You're totally hooked, just like I was. I can't wait until you finish #4, so we can talk about the whole series... and yes, I totally realize that in typing this, I TOTALLY sound like a tween, but I don't care!

Unknown said...

Laura got me hooked!! I couldn't wait until I had read every book in the series.
Kathie

Mandy Guss said...

I'm intentionally staying far away from this series simply because I know I would get sucked in. But I'm not commenting because of that, it's more to suggest a book I just finished reading. It's called Peace Like A River by Leif Engler. Great book and definitely a vocabulary enhancer!

Karen said...

I LOVED these books. Jason was TDY, I was still pregnant, and I read the first 3 in a week. Poor Faith and the house were neglected. I was positively giddy reading them. I felt like a high-school girl! There is even a website for moms who love Twilight.

Nancy, start a Twilight Book Club. I'll talk to you about the series until your ears fall off. :)