Friday, January 30, 2009

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night...

I don't know about you other fellow bloggers, but I plan and think, and think and plan about my next blog entry. Often I have so many thoughts in my head I just give up, completely overwhelmed and never post.

Today I had not intended to blog about the mail. I have a great entry forming in my head about a recent book I read. I must admit I'm slightly fearful that I won't be able to do it justice. So instead of stressing over writing the "right" words in this rather melancholy week, I thought I would discuss something that makes me happy. (Snow and ice, while fun for a short time, often send me into seasonal depression, I'd say I'm in the throws of it now!)

The mail man makes me happy. I love to see that little red, white and blue truck pull into my cul-de-sac. I know he must think me crazy, for as soon as he closes that little black door on my mail box, I'm out in a flash checking the contents. Sadly, I don't get a whole lot. Mainly just junk. I actually enjoy getting bills because I love to pay them. (Am I a total dork or what) I just love the feeling of knowing that all are bills are taken care of and there is still plenty of money in our bank account (thanks Dave Ramsey!). Today the mail man came to me loaded down with packages and mail. He's not the friendlest guy in the world. I often smile and wave and ask how his day is but he's much to busy for me (guessing he's not from the south).

Gabe and I tore into those two packages like a couple of kids on Christmas day. The first was this:

It's a "Quillow" from Comfort Silkie, the final gift for the birthday boy. Gabe LOVES, LOVES, LOVES, his "silkie blankie". He's had his silkie blankie since he was a baby. He loves that thing. He loves to lay on it, cuddle with it and smell it (which I find humorous because I honestly don't think it smells like anything, it must smell like home to him). Before his birthday he was concerned about one day losing his blue silkie. We discussed him possibly getting another silkie for his birthday.

"What color would you like, Gabe"....he thought for awhile "I would LOVE a red one, Mommy"....and then thought for a while longer...."actually (his favorite word) maybe we should stick with a blue one, I KNOW they are super soft and silkie"

Well in spite of his wishes I decided to go ahead and order this red one. It has his name embroidered on it and the large blanket folds into a nice neat pillow. This is a picture of him modeling the blankie with the pillow flap on his head (what a goof ball):

Thank you Gigi and Papa for his new blankie, he is in love.

The second box we received today was this:

I follow quite a few design, homemaking, crafty blogs. When one of them suggested buying a vintage scale I jumped at the idea. I had been thinking about getting a vintage scale and reading about her new scale pushed me over the edge. Impulsively, I went to ebay, and found this little number. I felt like I was predestined to stumble on this thing HELLO "My Old Kentucky Home" made in "Louisville, KY". Well now that I have it I don't know what to do with the silly thing. This is why I don't buy clutter inducing items. I don't have an artistic eye and most things just lay around just waiting for a yard sale....oh well....at least it only cost me $23, shipping and all. Any suggestions??



3 comments:

Nancy said...

Nice blanket- I love when they wrap into pillows... Just makes such good sense. Hmm... that scale? Could you (novel idea) actually use it? What was it designed to weigh? Looks like a decoration for the kitchen maybe...

Anonymous said...

Allow me to weight in on this one.
(Muppet joke.) I could possibly turn it into a small night lamp to sit on your kitchen counter. Love you - Dad.

Anonymous said...

Blew it. "Allow me to WEIGH in on this one. Oh, well.