Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sprouts?

As children we were given the luxury of one "yuck food".  My brother hated cheese, a rather tricky yuck food.  Mine was carrots and my sister's, yellow squash.  The details of a yuck food were as follows.  Every child gets to choose one and only one food that they NEVER had to eat.  The choice was made very young (I'm actually thinking my Mom made the decision) and the choice could never be changed. There were plenty of other foods on my yuck list that just had to be swallowed, sometimes whole and with a giant glass of milk but carrots never had to grace my pearly whites.  Brussels sprouts were one of those "other" foods.  I can literally remember staring down the three little cabbages on my plate.  Once I think I managed to sneak them into my napkin before Mom noticed but then felt terribly guilty and never did it again.  Even my Dad hated Brussels Sprouts night.  What can there possibly be to like about a vegetable that literally smells like someone has "cut the cheese" if you catch my drift?  

Well once again my friend Nancy has gotten to me.  She was pretty sure, if prepared correctly, that I would grow to love and actually enjoy these veggies (funny my Mother has been telling me this for years but I never believed her, sorry Mom).  Last week, while doing my bi-monthly commissary trip, I stumbled upon a fresh crop of Sprouts.  Oh what the heck I said to myself.  Why not give it a try.  After sitting in the fridge for almost a  week I finally got ambitious and found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com:

Shredded Brussels Sprouts is DELICIOUS.  But then what could be wrong about anything mixed with bacon, bacon drippings, butter, pine nuts and seasoning salt.  I made two servings and finished them both off with a side of fresh grape tomatoes.  Yummy!  I have been instructed by my husband to only make these when he is out of town...guess he couldn't get past the inevitable stinkiness...but boy were they good!  

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Yum, Yum! That recipe sounds really good! I'm telling you, cut them in half so they have a nice flat side and then saute in lemon & butter 'til they are kinda caramelized. After they are nice and brown, fill your pan about 1/4 inch full with water and let the water cook off on high...

Delicious! These are Ryan's FAVORITE veggie (the man who will not eat celery, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach...) haha...

J, H, I, C, and G said...

Ok, Heather. Sorry this is unrelated, but...I have a new blog. And I added you to my blogroll. Thought I would let you know that you should delete my other one. My new one is hannah-betweenarockandahardplace.blogspot.com.

ABW said...

These are my favorite! I just steam them, spray them with a little of that fake butter stuff and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Come to think of it I am the only one who eats them, so maybe I just have defective taste buds. (I don't eat celery, cauliflower or peas either--yuck!)

Maybe I'll get the kids to eat it this way....worth a try!

Nancy said...

I thought we were going to get a birthday post!!!

Karen said...

So funny. The first time I read this, Jason and I had just finished eating some sprouts with dinner. Notice that Faith's name isn't included. I think she just played with hers.

I tried sprouts for the first time in YEARS for Thanksgiving. I used a recipe that called for cream, parmesan cheese, garlic, bacon, and lemon zest. It was wonderful. Then I thought, ANYTHING would be wonderful cooked in cream, bacon and cheese!

Nancy said...

Jan. 11th os your last post... honestly? It's nap time, and I'm our of things to read... come on!