Thursday, February 12, 2009

"It's My Turn"

I have been procrastinating. It's really a daily occurrence, don't be too shocked. Several weeks ago I read a fabulous book. I mentioned I was having a hard time getting ready to blog about it because I wanted to be sure and do it justice. Since then I have totally misplaced the book. I wanted to include clever quotes in my review, but I guess that just isn't going to happen. (If I quite procrastinating on cleaning my house I would probably find the book!)

I recently read Ruth Bell Graham's book "It's My Turn".


I don't know that I would necessarily call this book an autobiography, more short glimpses into her life. I loved these glimpses. Ruth Bell Graham was a FEISTY woman. I need to read about feisty women. I don't relate well to quite, hands folded, under opinionated women. God didn't make me that way, and I have to believe that he made me the way I am for a purpose. I think Ruth gave Billy Graham a run for his money, and he loved her for it. Her favorite quote was "If two people agree on everything one of them is not neccesary". LOVE IT! I'm going to stop butchering this review and encourage you to go buy and read this book. I read it in less then 24 hours and will probably read it again (if I can find it!).

On a similar note, one of the things that inspired me about this book was her love for scripture. This book encouraged me to just read scripture every day and study it. She recommends just reading and taking notes (seems too simple, huh?!). One of the things Ruth remembered about her childhood was her parents always reading the Word and encouraging her to do the same. Bible reading and memorization were things she remembered fondly. I wanted to make this a similar theme in our house.

Last week I told the boys that for every four versus they memorized I would take them to the Dollar Store to pick out ANYTHING they wanted. Suddenly those boys became very interested! Last week we memorized:

Honor your Father and your Mother. ~ Deuteronomy 5:16
Truth will last forever; lies are soon found out. ~ Proverbs 12:19
With God everything is possible. ~ Mark 10:27
Children are a gift from the Lord. ~ Psalms 127:3

Even Gabe did a great job. Here's their loot from our trip to the Dollar Tree:

This last picture is from our weekly Friday night pizza/movie night. They LIVE for Fridays. Often Blockbuster has their previously viewed movies 3 for $20 and sometimes 4 for $20. I stock up on newly released movies and they LOVE that we get to keep them. Even Joel likes to get in on the action. Look at him here chillin' with the big boys:


Have a WONDERFUL weekend, Valentine's Day and President's Day!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i love your family!!!! i want to come to pizza/movie night!!!! it looks like so much fun . . .

Liz said...

Looks like a great time!! What awesome traditions to start up. Gives me great ideas!!

Karen said...

I LOVE the picture of all four boys on the rug. You are very blessed.

Nancy said...

I can't get over Joel laying on his belly like that. I guess I should chalk that up to watching older brothers, because Jillian TOTALLY would not lay there like that. Made me think of something funny... tonight I told Jillian if she ate all her chicken, she could have a treat. She said, "treat Mommy?" and ate her chicken! I was SO surprised it worked. She even showed me that it was gone, and then asked for her treat. I gave her one slice of peach from a jar of peaches, and put a little whipped cream on top. She was thrilled. Ahh... the simple things in life! Enjoy those boys!

Nancy said...

Oh- my point was that I bet this would have worked sooner with Jillian, if she had an older sibling that was getting a treat when she was not...

;)