Tuesday, March 31, 2009

75% sure....

So I couldn't wait any longer..I just had to know.  Greg, Gabe, Joel and I made the trip to catch a glimpse of our beautiful new baby.  

When the doctor first started looking, I think even he thought it was a girl.  He said..."OH I don't see anything", but about 30 seconds later he said..."It's a Boy"....75% sure.

Now...let me start the remainder of this blog post with a disclaimer.  I know thousands of people die ever day of horrible diseases and war and famine.  I know millions of Americans are worried about losing their jobs and how they will feed their families.   I know in the grand scheme of life us having five boys is no big deal, but to me, it's a big deal.  It's sad, not rip your heart out roll on the floor weeping sad, but it's still sad.  

I can see myself going through the seven stages of grief:
  • shock and denial:  I was definitely shocked yesterday, more because for a second I thought maybe the Lord had answered the millions of prayers I have been sending up.  I'm a wee bit in denial...maybe there really is a 25% chance that it's a girl.  (I will say I'm not holding my breath)
  • pain and guilt:  Don't know that I'm actually dealing/dealt with this one.  I will say at lunch yesterday I felt a little guilty that I'm not embracing motherhood with more gusto and vowed to work on it!  I also have dealt with the pain of what is wrong with me that God won't give me a girl.
  • anger and bargaining:  This morning I woke up pretty angry about the whole situation.  I don't want to hear everyone's "thoughtful" comments about "well at least you won't have to buy a ton of girl's clothes" and "girls are SO dramatic".  
  • depression and reflection
  • the upward turn
  • reconstruction and working through
  • acceptance and hope
I haven't made it to the last four stages because it's a little early.  I know by the time this baby is born I will be excited and happy to have a new little boy in our lives.  You know what makes me saddest, boys leave and for the most part don't really look back.  They don't call their mother's ever day to chat and catch up (if they did they would be on Dr. Phil).  Boys don't shop and get pedicures together.  It just makes me sad.  

I found this poem on a whole website devoted to gender disappointment.  I thought it was nice:

I am a mother,
Who has dreams I'm afraid may not come true,
I dream of the day
Of holding a bundle of pink or blue....
 
Maybe I'm dreaming of pink,
A daughter who could one day be,
A strong but soft woman
A newer version of me....
 
Maybe I'm dreaming of blue,
A son to be strong, but kind,
A sweet little boy,
To grow into a good man in time...
 
So please don't judge me,
Or these feelings I can't change,
They may seem unknown to you,
Bad or strange.....
 
Please keep in mind,
Even if I'm not given my dream,
I carry a love within me
That may be unseen...
 
I will love my child,
Boy or girl,
And I will hold and kiss them just the same,
And they will be my world...
 
Even though I'm disappointed,
It's not with what was given to me,
It's disappointment for a world,
That I might never be blessed to see....
 
As I said before, I know my problems are nothing compared to what others, even some of my good friends, have to go through, but it is real to me.  Just say you're sorry for me, let me wallow in self pity for a couple of days and then I'll move on...you'll see!

P.S.  Is this baby going to give me a run for my money???  Have you ever seen one floating upside down like that??  I'm not sure I have!

11 comments:

Kay Sue said...

I can't wait to meet this sweet little boy. You (and Anna) make the best little boys ever!!!!!!!!!!

Love you lots,

MOM

Nancy said...

Oh Heather... I've gotta say, I'm disappointed for you too.

In a healthy way where I understand everything you are saying about the joys of having a baby, about having been blessed with 4 healthy boys and one on the way...

but geez.

A little pink would have been nice for you.

I know you're a 75% bummed... glad you're the type that finds out BEFORE you have the baby so you can get your wallowing out of the way before he gets here.

xox

Darby said...

Heather... I am so very sorry for you... perhaps he will be a she at your next appointment. Tell Greg it's his fault... maybe that will make you feel better. Maybe he needs a sperm analysis to see if there are any y's in there! :)

erika said...

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping for a girl that way we could email back and forth about girl things, but still my girl might be a boy!? Who knows! And your boy might be a girl. Either way, know that I love you and will be praying for you. He sure is an acrobatic little peanut!

Lodmell said...

I am sorry, I know this does have to be hard to cope with. I have had many dreams thinking everyone is playing a trick on me, and that our boy will be a girl. I am really keeping my fingers crossed for you, that the doctor is wrong, and the next time you get a peek it will be a girl. Thinking of you!!!

Sarahbeth said...

I am sorry and totally understand your dissappointment. My secret plan, had I had one gender, was to go to china and get me a girl.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a girl to me. I don't see a beard or mustache. Love you Dad - and yes, you know I do understand all you are feeling.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for the bummer feelings. I hope you feel better about soon. I did want to let you know that my mother-in-law has no girls but she is pretty close to her daughters-in-law and talks to most of her boys often. I'm sure it's not the same but I am very thankful for her friendship.

Karen said...

Yes, I agree with Darby: Get Greg's sperm analyzed for girl sperm!

Heather, I am so sorry that you might not be getting your Baby Girl afterall. I'm sure you have dreamed off all the wonderful mommy-daughter moments you could have. So, you must be grieving the death of a dream... even though you love this baby unconditionally.

Love you! (And my offer for the Marshall Girls- Spencer Boys Summer Exchange Program still stands. Jason NEEDS some boy-time!)

Liz said...

Oh Heather I am sorry. You know what.. trials are trials. The thing that matters is that it matters to you. There is a lil hope...and isnt it still pretty early to tell?

Anonymous said...

Gabe would look fine with bangs.