Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Favorite Things {revisited}

Well I haven't done a favorite things post lately and I have a few minutes before evening church activities so I thought I'd post about my favorite restaurants. In no particular order:

1. W.W. Cousins, Louisville, KY. I love "Cousins". They have the best burgers and the best burger bar. Fudruckers doesn't even compare to this place! I particularly love their Pepper Salsa on my french fries YUM. It's been kind of a running joke with my family that every time I go there I see my high school boyfriend (probably because Tuesday night kids eat free and we both have kids), the last time I was there I didn't see John but I did run into Tim O'dea, another friend from high school.....random.....

2. The Melting Pot, anywhere. I love going to the Melting Pot. The food actually isn't that great but the ambiance and hanging out fondueing your food is a lot of fun.

3. Zaxby's, anywhere, but one of the best I've had was in Shelbyville, KY. When I was in Campus Crusade for Christ we always went to Zaxby's after our weekly "meeting". (We switched to a different restaurant later in my college career, but who's counting) I have great memories of hanging out there and I know I drive my in-laws crazy because every time we are in Bowling Green I insist that we all eat there. I particularly love their Teriyaki wings and home made potato chips, YUM!

4. Blue Willow Bistro, Scottsboro, Alabama. I love hole in the wall restaurants! This is one of those. When we spent the summer in Huntsville we heard about a great place called "The Unclaimed Baggage Outlet". It is exactly what it says, a grand warehouse full of some schmuck's old suitcase contents. Greg and I had a lot of fun digging for good deals and even made a little money selling some stuff on ebay. They had everything from jewelry, to clothes, to furniture, including bathing suits (which I actually saw people buying, BARF). Anyways, all that to say, after shopping we happened to find the Blue Willow Bistro and Antiques. The have amazing food, which includes RUM butter for your biscuits AND you can buy anything and everything in the store. We got a great deal on our dining room chairs!

5. Coastal Flats, Northern, VA. I was never much of a seafood eater (you would think with a grandmother from the outer banks that it would be in my blood, but it's just not my thing) until I ate at Coastal Flats, MAN do they know how to cook some seafood. They have a grits, country ham, shrimp dish that is to die for!

6. The Whistle Stop, Glendale, KY. I know lately the Whistle Stop has fallen on hard times, last I heard their cook was hit by a train (the irony) and a couple of months ago my Mom called to tell me it was on fire, but if they are still in business, which I believe they are, they have THE BEST Fried Chicken and Baked Apples. If you are every passing through KY on I-65 you have to stop at the Whistle Stop!


Well, now I am too tired and too hungry to think of any other restaurant favorites, but given the choice of cooking at home and eating out, I'm always, ALWAYS, ready to dine away especially if it is a one off or hole in the wall!! Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Darby said...

You better go take a pregnancy test... that was a very "pregnant" post. I miss WW Cousins... it's one of my favs too. I haven't been in years and years. If I was in L'ville for just a couple hours I'd have to go. Their burger bar is hands down the very best. I could eat one right now and ALLLLLL the fixin's!!! Loved it and now I'm starvin'!

Karen said...

I LOVED the Blue Willow. Just thinking about the rum butter is making my mouth water. They were so nice too because they gave me a free glass of wine to go with my steak.
As far as the Melting Pot goes, I sure wish I could afford to go there now days! Anything dipped in cheese is so good...

Anonymous said...

WW COUSINS! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Okay- we are totally planning a melting pot date for you and me! ;)

N

Anonymous said...

Hi, it was The Depot that burned not The Whistle Stop and WW Cousins is "da bomb". Good choices, good post.