Friday, October 31, 2008

A Call to Action from Nancy

If any of you have talked to me for more the 10 minutes you have probably heard the words..."Well, my friend Nancy...".  I have heard the phrase is often repeated in reverse..."Well, my friend Heather...".  We are very close.  We have similar views on life and child rearing, etc.  When her husband Ryan was hit by an IED in Iraq, November 29, 2005 we were totally devastated.  Ryan has since made an amazing recovery.  One of the things that helped Nancy get through the long days in the hospital was her "Caring Bridge" site.  Yesterday Nancy and I went round and round about which site would be more effective for getting information out about Rob, Blogger vs. Caring Bridge.  We finally decided a blogspot would be extremely useful and Nancy set about creating the site.  I wanted to post her take on commenting on other people's blogs in these types of situations.  

Aside from the prayer, (I know this may seem simple) but pass on this website, visit it, and COMMENT on her entries!  I CANNOT explain how much it meant to me to hear from perfect strangers that they were praying for my husband.  You might feel odd signing the blog of someone you do not know, but I PROMISE you that she will appreciate it.  The Yllescas family needs to feel the whole world loving on them and praying for them.  PLEASE.  If you have your own blog, consider posting a link to his website (as well as my encouragement for comments!) 

Let's make them feel all of our support today, tomorrow and in months from now.  This is a long journey they are on...  it will be more than a year that Rob is doing rehab for his injuries, and it will be the rest of his life that he struggles with his 'new normal'.   Check in on them, and check in often.  I know it seems like a small thing, but I can tell you personally that it makes a difference.  If you don't quite know what to say, go with something simple- "Our family in Mesa, Arizona is keeping you in our thoughts".

Take care,
Nancy

If you haven't already go comment on their site.  It's like voting...early and often people, early and often!  Thank you to Erika and Beth who have already commented so far!




2 comments:

Lodmell said...

We are praying for them. It is so scary to think how life can change in an instant. Makes you hug your babies and husband a little tighter. I well up with tears everytime I think of them.

Donna Mentink said...

I am awed at the love and 'family' Dena has gained being an army wife. Dena and my daughter went from elementary thru high school and bonded again when they both lived in Lincoln and Jenny was newly married and Dena was expecting Julia. Rob also has been around our town since he was a child, as his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all live here. I check Dena's site and know all about how much it means to know that people are thinking of you. My nephew (age 31) was paralyzed from the waist down in an industrial accident on Sept 4th. His caringbridge site has been a wonderful way to keep connected.
I am so happy to know that Dena has such great friends and I pray everyday for all our military.
Donna Mentink Osceola Nebraska