Monday, October 17, 2011

CSAs and Monkeys?

Over the last two summers we tried CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture). In theory, it is a fruit and vegetable delivery service. Last year we tried one (I cannot for the life of me remember which one) and ending up canceling a month in because all we were getting was greens. Now don't get me wrong, we like greens. My kids will eat kale, spinach, collards, etc. But getting several pounds of greens once a week was a little much.

I suppose the box whould have been my first clue. "Fresh Greens"


I really, really wanted to like everything. The radishes were yummy. I found a "french recipe" that said to spread butter on french bread and then slice radishes very thinly for a sandwich. It was actually pretty good! That front bag is a bag of lettuce. It was the most bug chewed lettuce I have ever seen. I diligently washed each leaf and made a nice salad. Too bad it tasted like dirt!

This past summer we thought we'd try our hand at a CSA again. This time we went with Great Country Farms. They get decent reviews, have a nice website, and there is a "pick your own share" included in your price so we thought we would give it a try. Again, VERY disappointed. The first few weeks were okay. We again ate a lot of kale and other greens which is pretty normal in the early summer. After that we got some of the sorriest looking produce I have ever seen. Bug ridden, split and rotting, one of the worst was a delivery I got last week that literally smelled like rotting flesh. Very disappointing and a total waste of money. I think I'll stick with my Costco produce from now on!! Lesson learned!

Right around the time of our first delivery last year, Ethan made a diaroma for a clay monkey he made at school. Greg and he did a great job of making it pretty realistic! Models are by far Greg's specialty!! I called Ethan up to confirm his "creature". He said, "It's a monkey, did you think it was a turd?" Silly kid!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yuck.