Monday, October 24, 2011

Sam's Baptism

In November of 2005 we lived in Fort Riley, KS. Right after Thanksgiving that year, Kansas had a random tornado. Fort Riley was hit for the first time in decades (figures, this would happen, while I was living there!). The week after the tornado we were driving on post and happened to drive past the post cemetery. The cemetery had been hit pretty hard by the winds and there were trees down everywhere. The boys were really impressed by the destruction, but then Sam wanted to know what those little "white" things were. I'm not really one to shy away from the truth with my children, so we had a long conversation about cemeteries and how people "go there". This of course led to another conversation about what happens when you die. I told him about how Jesus died on the cross for our sins and how when you die you can be assured that you are going to heaven if you have asked Jesus into your heart and asked him to forgive you of your sins.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him, should not parish but have everlasting life ~John 3:16

Well right then and there Sam was ready to ask Jesus into his heart....ahhhh....proud Mama moment. I love the "what happens when we die" questions. For some of my kids it has lead to an immediate prayer for salvation, for others it has led to long thoughtful observation time periods. I recently had the conversation with my sweet Joel. Afterwards I said, "Joel, is Jesus living in your heart so that you can go to heaven one day?" To which he replied, "No, Mommy, that's silly!", with a HUGE grin on his face. Guess he's not ready, but I'm confident that some day soon he will be!

On September 26, 2010, Sam was ready to make a public demonstration of the decision he had made almost five years earlier. We were thrilled to watch him be baptized!


Getting ready!

In his robe, ready to be "dunked".

The baptistry at our church has a separate "girls" and "boys" wing. I took this picture from the girls side, looking across the baptistry to the boys side.

Sam and Pastor Ray!

Another proud Mama moment!

Afterwards we went out to eat to celebrate! Abby had had enough fun for one day!

Lastly, Greg and I loved these pictures Gabe drew during the service. They are of people dying (hence the X-ed out eyes) and their hearts going to heaven. I pray that my boys passion for the Lord burns brightly their entire lives!!

1 comment:

The View From My Porch said...

This made me all kinds of teary. So happy for Sam and all of you. So sad to miss this moment. Love it! ~ali